My Family

My Family

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Celebrating Mother's Day

Well, I did it again.  I vow I won't every year but somehow my newsfeed finds the most depressing articles on Mother's Day and having children with special needs.

Before you start yelling, hear me out.  I KNOW every day is not a rosy ray of sunshine with unicorns dancing in the meadows.   I had to fight my almost ten year old to get out of bed and go on a fun field trip today (I'm so mean, I know).  He wanted to stay at home and cuddle.  I felt like a heel.  I also has to listen to my five year old wail all the way home because the John Denver CD bit the dust and she couldn't listen to Thank God I'm a Country Boy in a loop.  Then I had the nerve to put her in her gait trainer before our appointment and insist she have some physical activity before she's stuck in the car. If you count eat shattering screaming as proper lung development, we are all set.  So I know and I sympathize.

But there are so many amazing things.  Things that would never have happened had two children with medical conditions had not have shown up and tipped my world topsy turvey.  Here are five positive things that I've learned along this wild ride.

1. There are some amazing and strong women out there.  

Don't know any, look in the mirror mama.  You are strong and I admire you.  I know that you shed tears and worry that you are messing up.  I'm going to let you in on a secret.  We ALL worry about that.  I don't care if you have a child with or without disabilities.  Parenting is hard.  You are doing a killer job of it even if you don't think you are.

2.  Every day is a new chance.  

Even though we aren't promised tomorrow, sometimes it really helps to look forward to it if today has gone in the tank.  Lost your child's John Denver CD?   Tomorrow will be better because I can spend tonight burning a new copy!!  You messed up and questioned your ability to parent a Chia Pet, let alone this little human with so many extra needs?  Breathe, and see point number 1.

3.  A Village has my back.  

In the age we live on a few clicks connect me to people that I may have never met 15 or so years ago. Sometimes it's hard with appointments and Drs. to find time, but it's worth it.  Whether you have a village of two or two hundred it's important to find people who will love and care about you and your family.  My village knows my faults and flaws and embraces me for who I am, not what I wish I was.
4.  We become. 

In this journey we are often stretched to our limits and breaking points.  Yet we don't back down.  We become advocates. Because when you hold that little one you give up what you want and fight with every breath for what they need.  It's not easy but we become stronger and more determined to find cures, get testing done, locate the best care possible.  We become what our children need.

5.  Our kids are here for a reason and a purpose. 

I don't believe that there is some great cosmic zap and randomness occurs.  There is a purpose and a reason, even if we don't understand why.  Each person has a destiny to fulfill.  Even though they may have limitations and there is a reality my kids have a purpose that they were uniquely designed for and only they can do.  So does your child.

These are just a few reasons to celebrate being a mom.  There are so many out there.  Happy Mother's Day to some amazing moms who are advocating, standing strong, and above all loving their kids and seeing the amazing potential that they possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment