My Family

My Family

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

So the dance begins

So we have some news......  Yes, we have finally heard from our teen social worker.  She has been in contact with another social worker from another agency.  We have been presented with our first child. 

I was very excited and extremely nervous when I saw the e-mail.  This is big stuff.  Life changing. 

Our social worker did a good job.  She was able to balance the pros and the cons of this young man without being too scary or too "he is just perfect" about this young man.  Yes, he is a young man.  Fifteen to be precise.  And yes, I know 15 is not young.  I may teach little kids all day long but I am very well aware of how old 15 is. 

It is not his fault he is 15 and not adopted.  There were a lot of roadblocks in his way.  The big one right now is that where he is at is not supportive of his adoption.  I am sure they have many (stupid) reasons (that are probably stupid).  We had this problem the first time around.  The good news is that his social worker, adoption advocate, and the young man himself are all excited about adoption. 

I can't say too much about him and his history.  Even though I am pretty open on the blog there are lines that I won't even cross.  There is nothing as horrible in his closet as there is in Marvin's, but since he is still in the system and has not been adopted yet I need to honor his privacy. 

But here are some things I can tell you.  He is an avid reader, loves to take pictures, and wants to be adopted.  Don't get me wrong.  He's not perfect.  He has a few special needs and quirks.  But don't we all. 

So now we will take the next few days and really think this out.  It is a big decision.  Shannon and I will be praying and talking it out.  It will mean some drastic changes in our lives.  In the end we will have a choice to make.  We will have to choose what works for our family.  It may be a fit and it may not be a fit.  It will take time.  Because once we choose a path we have to plan on following it no matter how rocky or hard it gets.  That's what being a family is all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment