My Family

My Family

Saturday, July 21, 2012

The social worker's coming!

Boy,  I should have social workers visit more often.  Just kidding, kind of.  I got up early and managed to organize a couple of closets, straighten the living room and clean it and now I am taking a much needed break before I clean and organize our bookcases in our room.  A bit obsessive you think?  Well, with social workers one never knows.  They could glance over your house with not much of a howdy do or they could open all your closets and drawers.  I have a feeling this worker is on of the latter.  So better to be safe than sorry. 

It has taken time to get to this point.  Lots of time.  I had already (and somewhat foolishly hoped) that we would be so much further along.  The worker had promised that she would know something two weeks ago.  So she still knows nothing.  Which is incredibly frustrating. 

But she did call and ask to come out to our home.  She called wanting an appointment last week while I was teaching camp.  It was a rather difficult camp so I would have happily skipped out on it, but figured that would not thrill my boss very much.  So being the good worker bee that I am I managed to get her to come out this week while I am between camps. 

I will also be flying solo this visit.  When I contacted our social worker she told me that she felt her presence was "unnecessary" and "that we would do just fine, baby proof the house and make it look handicap friendly".  Wait?  Say what???  You are like totally throwing me to the wolves here. Our old agency at least showed up for stuff.  Plus Shannon has to work and can't take time off for this.  So I am feeling slightly panicky.  But my mom insists that I can handle these kind of people so I am just going to do it.  I am a little tired of her dragging things out on us so I am pretty sure I will be fine once she gets here.  Thanks heavens Marvin will be around.  I am hoping he charms the socks off of her.  He is pretty personable and chatty so I think we will be O.K. 

We have been looking into stuff as well.  For those of you who are burning with curiosity I will say that Harmani was born very premature so most of her issues relate to that.  Her parents are addicted to heroin and show no ability or willingness to get clean.  She is also a fighter, like Marvin.  The only thing is that Marvin got PT, OT, and feeding lessons BEFORE we got him.  He was done with the hard work by 18 months.  We still do "maintenance" with him and as he ages his needs change.  We go with the flow. 

Harmani's needs are different.  She has just started these things.  She is learning how to eat, but is a very slow eater.  She needs OT and PT to work those muscles.  But her future progress is forecasted to be good.  They were also worried about her vision.  She went to the same eye doctor that Marvin goes to and they believe that she is tracking.  They say the same things, she is very little and her body needs to grow and develop.  So we would be walking right into the middle of it verses getting the finished product. 

My life is about to change.  It will become appointments, therapies, learning to become an expert on a new round of stuff.  I was hesitant to make a change because I had a good thing going and was in a pretty good place in my life.  But now that the change is coming and we have made new choices I am really excited to see what the future will unfold.  Everything has a purpose, and a season.  It is time for me to enter into this new season with joy and thanksgiving.  It won't always be rainbows, unicorns, and sunshine, but I will take it in stride and embrace the coming changes.  I refuse to live in the past and dwell on the choices I have made.  I will not live a life of regrets.  I will live a life that honors the choices I have made and the hope of an amazing future for myself and the child that I have and the children I have yet to fill our hearts and home with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment