My Family

My Family

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Just a normal week

No, I have not dropped off the face of the earth.  I did however, take a little bit of time away.  My son had spring break and except for Speech and  PT we had a really normal week.

I had decided that I was going to keep this week uncluttered as much as I could.  I wanted to just live the week like I didn't have medically needy kids.  That we just went and did things that everyone else did.  Just for a little while.

So we did.  We still saw Speech and PT, but that was only a little bit of what we did.  We had a such a good time.  And just for a minute, for a space in time I didn't think about blindness, doctor's appointments, shunts, and adaptive living skills.  I thought about picnics, walks, swings, and fluffy creatures.

WARNING:  Mom, if you are reading this you are not going to be happy about this next part.


See that grey bundle of trouble my son is holding?  His name is Thomas.   We went to Arvonia and picked him up this week.  He is a 4H project and a new "friend" for Penelope.  He is getting his "big boy" surgery today so he may not be as friendly anymore.  I am O.K. with that.

To see the look on my son's face made the long drive to the end of the earth. O.K.  Marvin has been cleaning poop, training Thomas, and feeding him.  I am not expecting that to last foreven, but so far so good.

We also went to Maymont.  Marvin climbed, ran, jumped, skipped, and wore us ragged.  Cary did this:

All day.  Through all of Maymont.  And she got a sunburn to boot.  But it was great.  It was nice to be normal and do normal things.

This week, we go back to our normal.  We have appointments, new battles to fight, and never ending stuff that special needs kids need.  But I am holding on to our week, our time together, and most of all the normalness that made it so magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment