My Family

My Family

Monday, July 25, 2011

Life Book Woes

Yesterday I was able to spend some time on Marvin's Life Book.  For those of you unfamiliar with what that is a Life Book is a scrapbook you put together of your adoptive child's journey and life story.  Since most kids are shuffled from pillar to post it is hard to keep your memories together.  So pictures, special items, and other stuff can get lost.  So you are supposed to put it in a book for the child. 

Marvin has a lot of different pictures from his foster family.  I was one of the lucky ones.  He has art from his first daycare experience.  He has more photos than most foster kids get.  Here is the really sad part for me though, no baby pictures.  No pictures of a tiny newborn, no pictures of baby bottle feeds, discovering toes, rolling over.  It is almost like Marvin did not exist until he was about 10 months old.  All of his first year of life a a little change since we didn't get him until he was 18 months old is saved in a measly three scrapbook pages.  Three scrapbook pages.  I get so darned depressed and upset about it at times. 

But I move on.  I realize that we have taken tons of pictures since we have gotten him.  More than most kids may ever have taken of them.  Of little things like eating pasta or playing a matching game with grandma.  Of big things like parties and trips. At the rate I am going I can probably fill about five Life Books.   I will continue to take pictures and make new memories for our family.  I can't change the past, but I can make a better future. 

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment